Sunday, September 29, 2013

Obsessive relationships with cellphones

As students we have always been told to turn off our cellphones completely and store them in our backpacks. However we have come to a point with modern cellphones where the rules have changed. Cellphones have exceeded the limitations of just simple telephones. They are miniature computers at our fingertips.  With this in mind we can use cellphones in the classroom to our advantage. 

Even if cellphones are not allowed in the classroom, students will disregard the rule and use their phones. Therefore, why not put them to use? Smartphones can access websites where learning activities can be used in the classroom. There are also applications that can be used for every subject and incorporated into lesson planning. 

Using cellphones in classrooms for learning activities can be taken advantage of; it is unrealistic to think otherwise. Especially in middle school and highschool students can easily text message, use other websites like Facebook or play games instead of doing  the activities. However this can be a learning opurtunity as well. Students should be taught the importance of paying attention in class and self control with cellphones. It seems people have become so obsessed with their cellular devices that they have a need to use them at least every minute. This is only a bad habit that teachers can help break. By giving students some trust and leniency with their cellphones, we can break the obsessive relationship they seem to have with this piece of technology. 

4 comments:

  1. I think that’s not a bad idea, to use cellphone in class. But I’m not too sure if it’s possible to trust on the students with cellphone because in the end, they end up breaking rules. Although, your points does have a good point about people using cellphone wherever they go. I guess, if the students are being instructed of how they can use their cellphone in class, and then just maybe it is possible for them to use cellphone in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your points here. I understand why teachers would not want phones out when a cell phone used to be just a phone, but now with all of the different things our cell phone can do it may be smart to consider them using it in class. I have been in classes where teachers do not care if we use our phones and some where they strictly prohibit the use. I personally think they can be very helpful, therefore I would encourage this in certain circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with this post. Even I am guilty of using my iPhone during class to send texts, play games, or check social medias. It is true that if the teacher is not watching for cell phones at all times, then the students are more than likely to pull out their phone a couple times during class. I agree that finding ways to use the cell phone during class can benefit everyone. Students become excited about using their cell phones during class because it is something that is rarely done. This excitement of using a technology will then turn into excitement of learning the material and being in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually just wrote a comment on another person's blog on the uses of cell phones in the classroom. I took a neutral stance where I don't really care about students using their phones unless it impedes the educational process. I say this because I use my phone all time in classes and it does not distract me at all. At the same time, I think that you are running under the assumption that everyone has a smartphone which, I do not. We cannot exclude students without those phones. Also, if they have these tiny computers, is there anything wrong with them using an actual computer in class while everyone else uses their phones? Overall, I like the integration of technologies in class but I worry about it being perceived as making education "cool". Just because the students are using their phones educationally, does not mean that they are going to be inherently more interested. BUT, it is certainly a step in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete